What is an in-transit permit?
An in-transit permit is issued when you need to move an unregistered vehicle or trailer between two points within Canada. You must either start OR end your journey in the province of Alberta.
In-transit permits are only issued in the following situations:
- Unregistered vehicles moving from point A to B (max. of 3 days within Alberta, or max. of 7 days out of province).
- Towed vehicles (max. of 3 days within Alberta, or max. of 7 days out of province).
- For demonstration/test drive purposes (max. of 7 days).
- Repairs/servicing (max. of 7 days).
- Salvage vehicles traveling/moving within Alberta (max. of 24 hours).
How do you get an in-transit permit?
When you come into Richmond Road Registry, please bring in the following:
- Proof of insurance or proof of out-of-province insurance
- Proof of ownership (only required if vehicle is moving into or out of Alberta)